Wednesday, June 27, 2012

pork roast

The best experiments are clearly the ones that happen by necessity.

I had this pork roast in the freezer that needed to be eaten.  Now, roast in the summer is a daunting prospect, and I didn't particularly want to make pork tacos.  So I searched for a recipe I could use that might be flavorful but not too heavy.  I landed on this one from Pioneer Woman.

I had beef stock in the fridge and plenty of onions and apples, so all I got at the store was apple juice.  And then I got home.  Not apple juice at all, but white grape juice!  I sighed and shrugged and decided to just use it.  And then I opened the beef stock and it had a layer of mold on it.  Ew.  So, chicken broth had to suffice.

The result is a lighter, sweet version of the dish.  I used a liberal amount of rosemary in the mix as well, and it really does taste good.

Yay, necessity!

No comments:

Post a Comment